Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:27:23 -0800 (PST)

"Andrea Frazier" wrote

> What I heard was two people offering advice that says when a person decides
> to study, they should bear in mind what will also benefit their careers, not
> JUST their current job. Emphases on "ALSO" and "JUST." I don't know how much
> clearer I can make it. I didn't hear anyone urging the writer to ignore
> their employer, only not to focus solely on the employer's goals at the
> exclusion of any of their own.

If you read Beth's original post, she says: "Who wants to go from being an
accomplished techwriter to being a newbie programmer? Not me."

I interpreted that line as a clear rejection of an employer's requests. And
that to me is bad advice.

In fact, being a newbie programmer would make a writer MORE accomplished.
Having strong programming skills would not hinder a writer in any way. It would
make a writer MORE capable at writing about software and programming.

It would however be hard and I realize this would take many writers away from
there beloved tasks of fondling fonts, twisting templates, and masticating
methodologies.

My position was that if an employer asked you to learn something, it should not
be rejected. And I would agree that you can pursue both personal educational
desires and employer motivated ones.

Furthermore, being paid overtime to attend employer-paid education is absurd.
They're already paying for the education. You get to enjoy the skills long
after you left. Why should they pay overtime for those classes?

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com