Re: Having a Life Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Having a Life Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: Paul DuBois <paul -at- kitebird -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:37:39 -0600

> <<Even if you don't really learn much, or discover you hate it, what is the
> downside?>>
>
> I'm in the camp that says you should learn everything you can about the
> technologies you document. However there is a downside to courses taken in the
> evening or on the weekend. Even if the Boss pays tuition AND time.
>
> The downside is that a finite portion of your life is wrenched away from other
> priorities in life. If all you'd be doing otherwise is watching survivor or a
> similarly mind numbing activity, get off your back side and learn something. But
> if you are already busy with the responsibilities of house and family then you
> are quite right to negotiate for learning on company time or for courses YOU
> deem more interesting or seem more useful to you longterm. Volunteering at the
> local hospital is probably more rewarding and more valuable on a resume than
> many of the pathetic training courses out there.

Well put.

For the record, though my previous messages may make it sound as though
I refuse to work outside the 9 to 5 box for an employer, I don't. I've
spent a lot of time outside the normal boundaries, much of it engaged
in trying to learn new stuff that'll help me do my work (and thus help
my employers).

What I object to is the notion that by hiring me, an employer owns all
my time and can designate all that time to employer ends -- which, it
seems to me, is what some of the previous postings came fairly close to
advocating.

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com