RE: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: RE: Educational areas to pursue
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:00:07 -0600

Hey Guys,

"Domaschuk, Rob"
<Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com> To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent by: cc:
bounce-techwr-l-117504 -at- lists -dot- Subject: RE: Educational areas to pursue
raycomm.com

02/25/03 01:24 PM
Please respond to "Domaschuk,
Rob"

ID Number:

I thought I'd throw in a comment here, from my own personal experience.

Paul writes:

> I suspect that much of the disagreement
> on this issue lies in different views of what
> sacrifices it is reasonable for an employer to demand

Rob replies:

I'd agree - though it is not only about what types of sacrifices are
reasonable, but the quantity. Sometimes I put in a 60 hour work week (by
necessity to get a quality job finished on time), but the moment it becomes
expected on a regular (such as weekly) basis, then there is a problem.

I reply:

I was fired from a contract position with a company with the main reason
given was that I was only there for the 40 hours per week while the
developers were there an average of an additional 5-10 hours per week. I
was still doing the work and providing good documentation on the project,
but since I wasn't willing or able to put in additional hours on a project
that wasn't a rush, just as a normal part of everyday business, without any
sort of additional compensation, I was fired.

Basically, I work in order to live. I DO NOT live in order to work.
There IS a difference.

However, that DOES NOT mean that I wouldn't be willing to get some
additional training in. As a matter of fact, I took a sign language class
before where I would have to stay after work and come in outside of work (I
worked mids and the class was only during the day) because I wanted to
learn sign language. I've also taken an introduction to Java class after
work because my employer provided the class and I wanted to learn more
about Java.

Further, the talk from some people about just quitting the job and
taking another seems to discount the financial and other responsibilities
many people have to family and others that would preclude doing this,
particularly with the current economic situation and the lack of decent
jobs. Personally, I would continue to work at such a job until I was able
to find a suitable alternative. Or even, in this day and age, an
alternative PERIOD!

Sam Beard

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com