RE: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO

Subject: RE: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:27:18 -0500

I cannot program. So no, for me, it is not mandatory. However, I don't write
docs that require me to be a programmer.
Therefore, there are many types of documents I cannot write and there are
many types of situations that I cannot apply for.

>writer without programming knowledge is going to
>be less competent to write about programming
>than one who is also a programmer.
>Absolutely not. Any global statement such as "if you don't know X, you
can't

Huh? of COURSE that's true. Common, Beth...it's just as true as someone who
cannot speak English cannot write documents for English speakers. Can you
write documentation for someone who only knows Swahili?

>write competently about any subject.

If you don't know a bit of java (or a particular language), how do you write
useful documentation for the programmer of that language? You may think
it's competent documentation, but does the programmer?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com