RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results

Subject: RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results
From: "Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:36:29 -0500

I just did my own test
I captured 5 screen caps of the same image with Snagit 6.1.0 outputting to file and saving formats PNG, GIF, JPG, TIF, BMP. Each image into Photoshop 7 and reduced the image size by 50%. All images were then place into a Quark 4.04 document (my DTP of choice). I placed the original, the photoshop-reduced image and a second original scaled to 50% by Quark side-by-side. I then printed on an HP4000 and eye-balled the results for clarity. I accept that there may have been techniques I could have applied in Photoshop when reducing the image sizes to obtain better results.

Here are the results:

File sizes (in KB)
PNG 19.7
GIF 19.5
JPG 64.2
TIF 819
BMP 818

File sizes at 50% reduction (Photoshop)
PNG 35.7
GIF 16.2
JPG 66.5
TIF 216
BMP 205

Clarity of resulting image (original ommitted for obvious resons)
Photoshop reduced images
PNG illegible
GIF illegible
JPG illegible
TIF illegible*Best print quality
BMP illegible

Quark reduced
PNG Quark cannont use PNG format
GIF Slightblur at 100%, text slightly blurred at 400%
JPG Slight Blur at 100% noticeable color-shift near all edges and some fields
TIF Slight text blur at 100%, no blur at 400%
BMP Slight blur at 100%, no blur at 400%
In print all images were identical in quality

In conclusion it would seem that when file size and image size are the top two concerns that GIF, resized directly with Quark would be the best solution for me.

I've made a PDF of the quark file if anyone is interested in taking a look.

-Greg

neart - misneach - diongbháilteacht

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com