Re: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results

Subject: Re: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <CANAMEIE -at- email -dot- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:37:25 -0600

Rob Domaschuk wrote:
> It is far easier for me to pull the bitmap into PhotoShop, resize it,
> and save it as an EPS than to constantly muck with my screen
resolution.
> . . . . This is a rgeat workflow and process for us here, and we've
solved
> the dilemna of being able to resize screen shots and still have
crystal clear
> PDFs.

That last bit stopped me in my tracks. To me, a crystal clear PDF with
resized screen shots is something akin to the Holy Grail... I've stopped
looking. Been making do with a coffee mug.

So you're saying that you resize in Photoshop, save as EPS, bring the
image into Frame, and then export to PDF, and the images come out clear?
(And do you mean "spotless, as clear as the original screen I captured"
or "clear enough to make out the words easily"?)

It makes me wonder if Frame's doing something there, although I don't
know how (if you resize in Photoshop and save as EPS, does the EPS file
contain the original image resolution and size??). Maybe this
hypothetical Frame image-voodoo accounts for those mysteriously crisp
screenshots I've seen in books. When I followed your process using
Word--since I don't have access to Frame here--I wound up with EPS
screenshots that are just as blurry, onscreen and in print, as the GIFs.
(I didn't try JPGs. I had no reason to try JPGs because I've not yet
been convinced that they offer any benefits for screen captures and...
OK, I'll stop beating that horse now. <g>)

Christine

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com