RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results

Subject: RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:57:47 -0500

Dan Goldstein asked:

> 1. Why only "in a pinch"? What's the disadvantage in working
> with EMFs for vector images?

My limited experience with EMF has been disappointing. I haven't found an
export filter that handles it well. YYMV.

> 2. Is there *any* disadvantage in using PNGs for raster images?

I've had good success in exporting line drawings as PNGs from CorelDRAW.
However, CorelDRAW isn't the package in question. It's Visio.

For what I've seen and experienced, exporting in any format from Visio
should be approached with caution. Until its export filters improve, I
suggest importing graphic objects in the native Visio format if you can.
That's saying a whole lot, considering that I dislike importing such objects
into my documents and I routinely invent tricks to put graphics into more
conventional and portable formats.

[Note that I'm using Visio 2000.]

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

As with a financial report, an email message is much more attractive when
concluded by an impressive bottom line.

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com