RE: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO

Subject: RE: Have to know Programming to be able to write about it? -- NO
From: "Miller, Alan" <Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:34:43 -0500

My hand is most assuredly UP (virtually speaking). My areas include all types of power plants (nuclear, fossil, hydroelectric, waste-to-energy, pumped storage, combined cycle, combustion turbine, diesel electric, wind, solar, and geo-thermal) and all the technologies (from coal handling equipment to reactor protection and control systems) associated with them. Did operations manuals, procedures and training manuals for ... well, several decades. Trained many SMEs to become technical writers and trainers, and trained many "technical writers" to be SMEs in the technologies they were struggling to write about. Guess what? It's far, far easier to make a good SME into a good tech writer than to make a technically illiterate writer into an SME.

<Story>A client (whose name will be omitted to protect the ignorant) once thought it would be cheaper to hire some out-of-work recent graduate Journalism/English majors at low pay rates and train them in the nuclear power plant technologies they were to document than to use real SMEs. It was a disaster. A year later most still didn't know a control rod from a fishing rod and not one had written an acceptable document. They all got laid off and my team was hired to make some of the plant personnel into tech writers. Took us less than a month.</Story>

I've had similar experiences at refineries, tire plants, and coal yards. You have to know what you write, and write what you know.

Al Miller
"Chief Documentation Curmudgeon"
Prometric, Inc., a part of The Thomson Corporation
Baltimore, Maryland
www.prometric.com

Remember, we're all in this together.
--Red Green