RE: Synonym for binary file?

Subject: RE: Synonym for binary file?
From: Decker Wong-Godfrey <dfgodfrey -at- milmanco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:04:45 -0800

I think this may be a little misleading--most "binary files" aren't

Here's a definition from the handy-dandy Microsoft Computer User's

binary file n. A file consisting of a sequence of 8-bit data or executable
code, as distinguished from files consisting of human-readable ASCII text.
Binary files are usually in a form readable only by a program, often
compressed ore structured in a way that is easy for a particular program to

The definition itself could be helpful; I see a number of ways to describe a
binary file:

data file
program file
program readable file

Personally, I thought Jan had some great advice though.