FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract

Subject: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract
From: Anonymous <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:46:35 -0700 (MST)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Forwarded anonymously on request. Please reply to the
list if you want the original poster to see your message. EJR
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

At the moment I am a contractor working as an autonomous/empowered
'Senior Technical Writer'. I fit the criteria recently suggested by
John Posada for what constitutes a Senior TW. As an internal
contractor in this case, my employer submits deductions to government,
but I am paid a flat weekly rate, and work at a desk in the office. If
I was a 'real' external contractor I would be charging a good deal
more for my services. My current HR level, is, let's say 'high'.

I have been offered a permanent position in a different division of
the same employer (with all the same responsibilities and title) but
with a substantial pay cut (15%) and at an HR level 'medium'. I
questioned the pay ceiling they were offering and was told to consider
all the benefits which come with being a permanent employee.

The pay band for 'medium' level employees covers my current salary
which is by no means even close to market in our area but certainly
satisfies my own salary requirements. My current pay is exactly what I
feel the job's responsibilities are worth both to me and the employer.

The new job offer's pay ceiling is well below the top of the pay band
for 'medium'. Should I be worried about this? Are they trying to hire
someone they know is capable and responsible but are leveraging me
downwards using the 'permanent job vs. contractor' approach? I am not
so adverse to taking a level demotion but I am really not happy to
have my skills devalued in dollars.

I have also worked for this employer for 18 months with three horribly
complicated projects completed successfully. I have proved myself
repeatedly to this employer and I would hate to have to start all over
again. My foot is tired of being 'in the door'. This is an extremely
large, international employer who will not be affected in any way by
my asking for my same dollar amount to perform the same role.

Any tips?

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com