Quirky Post: Similiarities between being a Tech Writer & Modelling

Subject: Quirky Post: Similiarities between being a Tech Writer & Modelling
From: sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:03:03 -0700

Hello everyone:

It's been one of those days and well...maybe too... it's *that* time. You
know what I mean. The time when you've just finished the contract, took a
bit of time off and start hunting for the next contract?

It's been a while...since I've been in this position. Job or contract
hunting, I mean. Maybe I'm getting old and have blissfully forgotten
what it's like to be "on the market" but has anyone noticed the
similiarities between being a tech writer and a high fashion model?

I've heard it said that models get feedback like " you're too old, too
tall, not tall enough, too fat, too big-chested, not big chested enough,
not the 'right body type'" etc. etc. etc.

As a Tech writer-who's pretty much a generalist-in the last two days I've
received somewhat similar feedback but at least one of 'em was a bit of a
twist. I've heard:
" You're not strong enough on I.T. skills", " You're *TOO* technical-with
respect to a job with a head hunter company that was only prepared to pay
8.00/hr Canadian for someone with some basic graphics & layout skills", I
even got "too bad you're not still a student & then I could keep you on
under our grant application program" for the environmental contract...I'm
just finishing-which I just love! Don't that take the cake? (And yes I
know that's grammatically incorrect) Acutally? Momentarily, I wished I was
*still* a student so they could keep me on.

I can honestly say I've never been told or described-in my short career to
date- that I'm "too technical". In a bizare way it's almost a compliment?
Does this mean I'm moving up in the world?

Ah well, another day and another day's hunting.

Sara-Sue in Canada

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com