Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract

Subject: Re: FWD: Making the move to permanent work from contract
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:11:33 -0800

Anon requests advice on employment:
> I have been offered a permanent position in a
> different division of the same employer (with
> all the same responsibilities and title) but
> with a substantial pay cut (15%) and at an HR
> level 'medium'. I questioned the pay ceiling
> they were offering and was told to consider
> all the benefits which come with being a
> permanent employee.

Check the money figures and include the benefits
that are included with permanent employment. In
my case, I went through a similar decision. I
had been paying for medical insurance out of my
pocket for about 2 years, so I knew that cost.
Add in dental, vision, retirement benefits, to
the decrease in real pay of 15% and I think you
come out ahead on the deal, even without asking
for a higher pay rate.

My company not only provides plenty of benefits,
they also maintain excellent oopportunities for
movement within the company, and even encourage
it. People who stay put too long are more likely
to be the ones let go.

CB - BTDT got the job, ready to move about within
in about another year
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.net Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access