Insert Picture Link Dynamic/Relative

Subject: Insert Picture Link Dynamic/Relative
From: "J. Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:22:46 -0700

Okee doke, Yesterday I thought I found the answer in the archives, but
obviously I didn't. This cannot be difficult. I have posted this before, but
have yet to fix it. What am I doing wrong?

Word 2k on Win2K.

How do I change all the hyperlinks (that point to a specific file) and
linked graphics that point to a specific location on the "C:\" drive to the
relative drive (e.g., the CD-ROM drive, typically D:\) when I copy the file
and associated directories?

---------Things I have tried---------

** I tried modifying the "Hyperlink Base" in the properties window with
"..\\" and "\\" - No Joy.

** I tried using Find and Replace (FnR) to edit the path to ..\\ with "Show
Field Codes" on. - No Joy.

** Currently, the path starts with "..\\..\\" When I insert a picture as
linked (to see what path it defines) and turn show fields on, it looks like
"..\\..\\..\\O&M Pictures\\Misc. Pictures in O&M\\PictureFile.jpg" Yet, if I
change all remaining paths to "..\\..\\..\\" from "..\\..\\" it doesn't
work. If you followed that, good for you.

** When I insert "C:\" in the "Hyperlink Base" it works...but that is not
the fix I need. I need it to display the images, or link to the appropriate
file (hyperlinked) regardless of what drive letter the document and
correlated folders are placed.

The directory structure never changes, just the drive letter.

Please feel free to point out what an idiot I am. If you do it to me, maybe
you won't do it to someone else.

While TechWriting trends come and go, John Posada remains the constant. Time
to re-shave the head.

- Justin

"What have you done to change the world today?"

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com