RE: how to document multi-choice GUI

Subject: RE: how to document multi-choice GUI
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 12:30:59 -0500

>>..Because of this structure, to complete the task of making the CD,
>> the use must make a series of choices in each step. By the time
>> the user gets to the end, there are myriad possible task flows.

Create a diagram that will guide the user to their correct starting point.
At each point, the reader has a specific choice and based on that choice,
they have specific options.

I'll keep it very simple since describing a picture is always harder when
you don't have the picture in front of you. If you want to explore this
further, I can diagram this out and send you a Visio file.

1) Are you A or B?
if you are A, go to 2
if you are B, go to 3

2) Are you trying to do X or Y
if you are trying to do X, go to 4
if you are trying to do Y, go to 5

3) Are you trying to do V or W
if you are trying to do V, go to 6
if you are trying to do W, go to 7

4) Do "this"

5 Do "this other thing"

6) Do "that"

7 Do "that other thing"

>From each of the ending points for 4, 5, 6, or 7, you would create a
hyperlink to the beginning of the correct process, which they only got to if
they met all of the criteria for that process.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com