RE: Car-seat Instructions Too Difficult, Says Study

Subject: RE: Car-seat Instructions Too Difficult, Says Study
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:33:46 -0800

The last time I tried to install a car seat was when my nephew was an infant.
After watching my sister-in-law struggle with the seat, I managed to figure out
how to mount it without the instructions. I later saw those instructions, and I'm
convinced that they were the reason she had been having trouble, it was
actually easier to figure out how to mount the seat without them than it was
with them. They were text-only, numbered "insert Tab A into Slot B" steps
keyed to letters stamped on the seat. No pictures or visual aids of any kind
save for the photo on the box the seat came in. This was about 10 years ago.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 08:47 AM 3/5/2003 +1100, Rob Partridge wrote:

Speaking from experience of fitting a car seat for my little baby boy, and
later trying to find out some adjustment info on the seat, the instructions
that came with our, otherwise excellent, seat are awful. 10 pages of dense
technical descriptions in small fonts with a few incompletely labelled, and
often incomprehensible, diagrams don't make the task any easier. I come from
an engineering background and finally managed to make sense of the
instructions. I'm horrified to think how people without a technical
background cope.

And I will argue for completeness in manual design. Not only must the
content be accurate and written for the appropriate audience, but the design
could have been improved so that it wasn't such an assault on the senses.
I'm not usually for font fondling, but in this case it was definitely
needed.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com