Re: OT: Is it Spam or is it Memorex?

Subject: Re: OT: Is it Spam or is it Memorex?
From: Peter Harkins <ph-tw -at- malaprop -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 05:34:48 -0800

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 08:10:43AM -0500, Charles E Vermette wrote:
> With one important exception,in my mind: obviously, if you post to a
> public list, you can and should expect public debate. However, I do
> consider posts unwelcome if they:
>
> - are sent off-list and clearly break the rules of the list (i.e., would
> be censured by the list manager if they were posted on-list...)
> - are sent under a different email address than the one used to post to
> the list (especially if the poster has been advised that unsolicited
> posts are not welcome.)
>
> I'm under the impression that this is a convention of netiqutte. Am I
> wrong?

You're partially wrong: off-list e-mails are important. If it's not topical
for the list, the standard practice is to communicate privately. It helps
keep lists on-topic while allowing members the opportunity to explore
related topics that are not of interest to the group at large.

This and a lot of other rules of netiquette are formalized in RFC 1855,
"Netiquette Guideles". (RFCs document the standards of the Internet, usually
technical -- they're not just a good idea, they're what passes for law. :)
It's an important read for anyone who spends a significant amount of time
online for work or leisure.

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com