Re: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there

Subject: Re: Hearing (or seeing) what isn't there
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:08:47 -0800 (PST)

John P. wrote:
> How do you avoid injecting into your understanding of a
> software or hardware something that isn't there.

I'm not sure that's possible or even desirable. It's part of the
human intellect to set context and create assumptions.

What you can do is use the scientific method. Start with a set
of assumptions, then test them, and be willing to discard them
if they are invalid.

Also maintain a healthy skepticism about all assumptions.
Skepticism is the basis for critical thinking, but is not always
welcome in the corporate environments where we work.

In the software development environment, you build a set of
assumptions by talking with managers, marketers, and developers.
Then you test those assumptions by using the software and
reading the code.

If I really wanted to avoid assumptions about something called
an Air Moving Device, I'd make sure I got a good look at it
before reaching any conclusions.

Mike O.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com