Developer vs The NOC, The Sequel

Subject: Developer vs The NOC, The Sequel
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:44:25 -0500

Hi, guys...a couple of months ago, I started a thread about a developer who
was being given a hard time by our network operations center and how using a
section of my documentation, stood up to them and told them to leave her
alone.

With my big mouth, about a month ago, I made a suggestion that some of the
developers should conduct hour-long training sessions on areas of their
operation that they found particularly troublesome, based on who was most
familiar with the issue. Stupid me, he thought it was a good idea and guess
who was selected as the first developer to conduct this training?

Yep...her, from 7am to 8am this morning.

Yesterday, I worked with her and created some graphics, but otherwise, it
was her show.

Anyway, I wasn't there, so all I can do is go on the following comment sent
from my boss (who also wasn't there) to her via email:

Rachel,
congratulations! I spoke to some NOC guys and they loved it. They say it is
much better then it used to be.
Thank you. Well done!

Now...I wonder how she would have been received if she hadn't spoken to them
like equals and instead, was properly subservient.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com