Re: Usability ROI

Subject: Re: Usability ROI
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:28:37 -0500

Well, here's a few:

Good online help promotes productivity by reducing support calls. Data/orders get entered faster and more accurately. A friendly, usable interface allows the user to input more of the right data, more quickly, increasing productivity (again). As data integrity increases, orders or information are processed more quickly and accurately, making customers (internal and external) and suppliers happy to deal with your department or company more often.

For a shopping web site, usability increases average order value and conversion rate (completed transactions compared to site visits).

You might try visiting a few usability sites: I get a weekly newsletter from uie.com (and too many seminar and conference invitations, but that's OK -- I have a Delete key), and occasional newsletters from goodexperience.com.

You'd have to do an ROI analysis on the cost of support calls (internal and external), delayed accounts receivable, flawed reporting, etc., to get some hard figures to present, but it might be worth it if you can become the usability expert.

Karen Black in Toronto, usability expert but nobody at work knows it (jes' kiddin')

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

From: "McKinney, Suzanne" <smckinney -at- microstrategy -dot- com>
Do any of you deal with usability (of interfaces, online help, and the like)
at your company? I'm very interested in promoting usability but I need some
hard facts and evidence as to how it helps the bottom line. My company used
to pay more attention to this, but it seems that we really don't have anyone
dealing with this full-time.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com