technical skills vs. writing skills (again)

Subject: technical skills vs. writing skills (again)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:12:22 -0800

At the risk of reviving a long-ago exhausted subject, yeterday I had first hand experience of a technical writers' need to have a technical background - or at least the willingness to obtain one.

I was called in to an interview for a full-time job yesterday. I don't know if I'll take it if offered - contracting being in my blood - but that's a decision for another day, and depends on what the salary and working conditions are like. If nothing else, the occasional application helps to keep me informed about the local job market.

At any rate, before the interview, the company sent a brief writing test to those who were short-listed. The test was based on the company's product line, which is very technical, and likely beyond the knowledge of anyone who hasn't worked in the company's particular area of high-tech. In giving my response, I noted at the top that I could edit the material provided, make design suggestions, and indicate how I would go about learning about the subject matter - but that I couldn't do any actual technical writing because I didn't know enough.

To be honest, I didn't expect to be called in after that outburst of frankness. However, I was. It turned out that, contrary to my misgivings, the interviewer knew that what was asked was impossible. However, out of the nine candidates short-listed, the interviewer said, I was the only one who noted that the impossible was being asked. The rest just went ahead and did the exercise. I was also the only one who said that he or she preferred to work from technical expertise. In fact, several of the others repeated the tired old STC party-line that tech-writers don't need expertise in the subject matter. My approach was "refreshing," he said, and a large chunk of our discussion diverged from the interviewer's outline of questions, and went into how I could go about getting the expertise I needed if I were hired. In other words, unless I completely misread the reaction, I fully expect to be called into the next stage of the hiring process. Of course, I still may not get the job, but I came away feeling that it was mine to lose.

The morale? The theoretical discussion of whether a tech-writer needs technical expertise is probably endless. Undoubtedly, however, ihaving expertise or being willing to obtain it is one of the strongest ways to stand out from the competition. In this case,the interviewer was obviously tired of the "writers just need to write" argument; he indicated that he'd heard it too often and seen it disproved too often for it to have any credibility. I strongly suspect that he isn't the only one who feels that way.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some say the Devil's just an angel in the dark,
Some say the Devil's just a good man feeling bad,
Some say the Devil's just the lads out for a lark,
Some say the Devil plays the only music glad and good."
-Jez Lowe, "Tear-Drop Two-Step"

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com