Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information

Subject: Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information
From: Mike MacLean <Michael -dot- MacLean -at- alcatel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:45:31 -0500

The article is well done. There are lots of good suggestions in there, however I
can't say that I agree on the necessity of having a cell phone. I don't think
many prospective employers are going to be put off by having to leave a message,
as long as you return it promptly. I also doubt many employers are going to just
call the first 5 employees at random. If they do, they're going to significantly
reduce their chances of finding the best candidate.

I don't know, maybe we just move a bit slower because of the cold up here in
Canada but the HR advisors I know (more specifically the one I'm married to)
quickly go through the entire stack of resumes (and yes, the number is often in
the hundreds) and narrow the number before calling. I've seen her do this, and
trust me, if your resume doesn't catch her on the first page, you're in the
wrong pile. If the first page is good, then she might look at the second. It's
an interesting, but scary, exercise to watch. Unfortunately, there's just not
the time to read each resume through. Also interesting to note is that, even
though she receives the resumes electronically, she still prints them out to
review, so length *may* matter.

Of course, this is all anecdotal, so maybe I'm underestimating the importance of
having a cell phone.

(I'm also not convinced that a non-tech writer, will notice styles/non-styles in
a resume, but I don't want to reopen that long debate again)

--

Michael MacLean
Technical Communications

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com