Re: Wanted: BAD Writing

Subject: Re: Wanted: BAD Writing
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:55:14 -0800

One of my favorite examples of bad advertising is a T-shirt (now used only for running) that I picked up at Linuxworld 2000 in San Jose. It was given out by the OSDN, the organization behind such sites as Slashdot. Across the front, it says, "I'm a member."

(If you don't get it, use your thesarus for male anatomy parts. I don't want to face the wrath of dozens of mail filters by being explicit. The other day, I was talking birds, and, much to my trauma, recipients recieved a reference to "****atiels")

Of course, there's also the classic example in Dorothy Sayer's "Murder Must Advertise." A company was marketing a small product to indicate that your seat was occupied on the train. Its self-generated ad was "Don't let anyone pinch your seat."

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some say the Devil's just an angel in the dark,
Some say the Devil's just a good man feeling bad,
Some say the Devil's just the lads out for a lark,
Some say the Devil plays the only music glad and good."
-Jez Lowe, "Tear-Drop Two-Step"

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com