Re: Line numbering in FrameMaker or in PDF files?

Subject: Re: Line numbering in FrameMaker or in PDF files?
From: mmcgraw -at- qualcomm -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 19:15:06 -0700

Quick followup to my earlier posting:

Two Whirlers (Ian Hawkins and Alan Bucher) kindly replied, suggesting that
I ask the FrameUsers and FrameScript-Users discussion groups on Yahoo!
Ian also pointed me to a numbering script that should do exactly what I
need. The only trouble is that I need to buy and install a Frame add-on
called FrameScript (from Finite Matters, www.framescript.com) in order to
run the script.

No matter, it turns out there's a whole world of Frame manipulation out
there I've been missing. Time to add another notch to my techwriter
skills (I'm getting out my tap dancing shoes <grin>).

= Mike McG =

> One of our engineers would like to have each page of his document
> line-numbered, beginning with "1" at the top of each page.
>
> Nobody here has been able to figure out how to add line numbers to pages,
> either in the source (FrameMaker; 5.5, 6, 7) document or in the PDF doc
> generated from the source file.
>
> One suggestion was to place a narrow frame with a left-justified number
> sequence on the underlying master page, but that would seem to work like a
> graphic with the numbers independent of formatted paragraphs on the body
> pages. We'd like each actual line to have its own number regardless of the
> line's format/spacing.
>
> Anyone have a good idea how to accomplish this? Any third-party tools that
> will provide line numbers in Frame or PDF files? Any neat tricks we can
> play in the MIF or Frame SDK?
>
> Thanks.
>
> = Mike McGraw =
> ~~~~~~~
> "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor
> freedom and yet renounce controversy are people who want crops without
> ploughing the ground." -- Frederick Douglass, 1817-1885

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com