Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information

Subject: Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:42:50 -0800 (PST)

Sorry, Bruce, my observation wasn't about you. I'm sure you
always read the entire paper objectively. But in college I was
well aware that some teachers didn't. I might have even abused
this knowledge once or twice ;-)

I was mostly reacting in the idea of HR folks screening resumes
just by looking at the first page (again, just the idea, not any
individuals). That seems consistent with me as a TW having to
cope with a wider trend of people being unwilling to do the
basic grunt work of their chosen profession, especially when it
involves the act of reading.

How typical of the soft-skilled professions to happily make
far-reaching and irrevocable decisions based on insufficient
data. Didn't we just have a thread about how to avoid false
conclusions?

I agree, it's a lot harder to scan a pile of resumes for XML
skills if you don't know what XML is. "Hmmm... five years SGML
experience, but only 1 year XML experience... sorry, we're
looking for a more senior XML person..."

And yet, research shows some HR folks really _can_ screen a
resume just by looking at the first page:
http://www.discussingdifferences.com/clips2/cult1431.htm

As if we needed another reason to keep our resumes away from HR!

Maybe resumes and student papers should be reviewed blind, like
auditions for a professional orchestra.

Bruce wrote:
> ...HR generally has two goals: to find a person who's a
> reasonable fit for the job, and to reduce workload.
I agree... but somehow I don't think we'll be seeing that
mission statement on annual reports anytime soon.

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com