RE: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information

Subject: RE: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:46:33 -0700

Thoughts on earlier posts...

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike O.
...<snip>...
> I was mostly reacting in the idea of HR folks screening resumes
> just by looking at the first page (again, just the idea, not any
> individuals). That seems consistent with me as a TW having to
> cope with a wider trend of people being unwilling to do the
> basic grunt work of their chosen profession, especially when it
> involves the act of reading.

Not that I'm siding with this HR practice, but I have to ask: what do we
look for when we review someone's writing samples/portfolio? I want to see
how they've presented the information, and I -scan- the documents, but I
certainly don't read every word. What do editors look for when they sift
through the slush pile? They'll start at the beginning of the book and toss
the ms. aside as soon as the author gives them a reason to not want to read
on. (As one editor commented to me: "I'm looking for a reason -not- to buy
each ms." If the applicant can't represent themself on the first page of
their resume, do I want to hire them to represent my company? We're talking
about professional communicators, after all.