Re: Uncooperative SMEs

Subject: Re: Uncooperative SMEs
From: GeneK <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:14:06 -0800

At 02:53 PM 3/20/2003 -0600, Samuel Choy wrote:

I'm going to get more opinionated than I usually am...I don't interview my
SMEs anymore.

Same here, I don't think I've ever gotten much useful info from sitting down
with SMEs and grilling them, if they were sufficiently organized in their work
to tell me what I needed to know that way they could probably do most of the
writing themselves. I've generally gotten my info by sitting in on design and
test reviews, picking up what I can from engineering drawings and notes and
volunteering myself for duty monitoring lab tests and being a UI guinea pig,
basically, by insinuating myself into the product development process until the
SMEs come to think of me as being part of the development team.

Gene Kim-Eng

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com