RE: sign-off procedure

Subject: RE: sign-off procedure
From: "Spreadbury, David C." <David -dot- Spreadbury -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 07:55:04 -0500

Both, and more.

The development team should ensure that the product functions as it is
supposed to, according to whatever specifications you are adhering to.

The writer should ensure that the product is documented as it actually
functions.

Obviously, you should wind up with equal results. Not always true. Probably
rarely true, 100% of the time.

Marketing should also take a look at how you initially describe the product
so that it matches what they have been telling customers, or potential
customers.

As the writer, I have always tried to get my hands on the product, whether
it be software or hardware. If it is hardware, I try to actually do the
procedures that I am telling someone else to do. I feel that if I can do it,
I can document how it is supposed to be done. The same holds true for
software. Try to get on a system, or connect to a system, that runs the
software. Go through the procedures your users will encounter. Install the
software. Configure the software. If you do this, not only do you gain an
intimate knowledge of the product, but you may also find some things that
need to be fixed, solely because of your viewpoint of the product.

Engineers _know_ their product (or at least they should). They know the
shortcuts. Your end-users don't. They have to use what you provide to make
the product do what it is supposed to do, or what they want it to do.