RE: Marcom workshop in Toronto

Subject: RE: Marcom workshop in Toronto
From: "Gordon Graham" <gordon -at- gordonandgordon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:23:37 -0500

> "Karen E. Black" wrote:
> I'm scheduled for two of their courses in April: How to Document APIs and
> SDKs, and Just Enough Java. I'll report...
>
> They are running a 5-day series in Toronto; the last day is on marcom --
> would it give me ammo against our fearless and clueless Marketing Team?

Since you wondered, our approach to marcom is to stick to the facts and tell
a powerful story without any fluff or exaggeration. I guess I spent too many
years as a technical writer to like going over the top. For short we call
that "marketing writing for the real world."

Whether a "fact-based" approach is enough to tame a Dilbertian marketing
team is anybody's guess.

One thing is for sure: tech writers are well-qualified to write marketing
materials for the products they work on--if they can just switch gears and
focus on benefits instead of features, and loosen up enough to inject some
zing into their text.

For more about the differences between technical and marketing writing, see
the free excerpt from my workshop at
www.gordonandgordon.com/downloads.html

==============================
Gordon & Gordon presents five key
1-day workshops in Toronto in April...
Info at www.gordonandgordon.com
--------------------------------------
Gordon Graham, Partner
Gordon & Gordon
(514) 488-1875
www.gordonandgordon.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com