RE: Marcom as TechCom

Subject: RE: Marcom as TechCom
From: "Fiona Hurley" <fiona -dot- hurley -at- gtnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:59:54 -0000

Robin Johnson said
> Some technical documents could use an infusion of marcom,
> IMHO. Especially software manuals.

Two different types of marcom to consider here:

1. The benefits-based information that you mention.
2. Cheesy buzzwords and OTT claims.

IMHO, type (1) marcom can be very useful, for the reasons already mentioned.
I personally would find it useful to know *why* I would perform a certain
task. So I agree with the comments on this.

However, type (2) marcom can make certain readers break out in hives. I have
heard the snorts that accompany phrases like "proactive, dynamic
technologies", "leveraging your existing resources", "providing an answer to
all your dreams", etc. You should certainly avoid such phrases in very
technical documents, since techies are especially attuned to Dilbert-speak.

Fiona Hurley,
Technical Writer,
Graham Technology plc,
India of Inchinnan,
Renfrewshire,
Scotland PA4 9LH.

This email (and any attachment) is private and confidential. If you were
not meant to receive it, please delete it and tell us by phone or email.
Although we scan all email and attachments we do not accept responsibility
for viruses.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com