RE: Need feedback

Subject: RE: Need feedback
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:21:31 -0600

While Deity John's wicked-evil answer spoke to my heart, I have a few more
practical suggestions.

I am in a similar situation. However, my qc folk speak English as a second
language and have an apparent aversion to definite articles. Really. It
sounds like one of my smart- -at- ss comments, but it is not.

So, you need to work with them to come to an agreement about what their
scope is. However, if they are used to telling you to move sentences around
(or, in my case, eradicate all definite articles), that will probably not
stop, even if all of you reach the consensus that sentence reordering is out
of the question.

You need to make sure that part of your agreement is that you retain final
editorial control. In my case, I always respond to ALL their comments, even
if it is with a brief "no, that would not be standard English". They seem to
accept that and do not push those issues. However, I think part of the
reason is because they realize that I have given serious consideration to
all of their comments.

Also, agree to a format for them to notify you of the changes. Teach them
to use change bars or insist on something like "P.2, Paragraph 7--Change
'Widget' to 'Doodad'. (That is what my qc crew and I agreed on).

Every once in a while, give in on a few things that Just Don't Matter. If
it is an easy change, does not destroy the material, and just seems like a
random suggestion with no basis, just do it. It will make everyone happy,
boosts self-esteem, and will let them know that their efforts are
appreciated, whether they are or not.

Finally, if all else fails, go with Deity John's suggestion.

Jason

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com