Re: BS-ing your way into a Tech Writing job (was: The Tech Writin g World)

Subject: Re: BS-ing your way into a Tech Writing job (was: The Tech Writin g World)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:42:43 -0800

John Posada wrote:

I'm not advocating lying. However, not knowing how to do something and not
being able to pick it up, and not knowing something but knowing that when it
comes to know it, you will, are two different things.

I'd say you're advocating exaggeration.

For me, the issue falls into a gray area. I'm not personally comfortable with claiming knowledge that I don't have, but I'm not about to denounce anyone who is, either. Even if the issue was clearer, an argument could still be made that providing for dependents, or even personal survival is a higher ethical priority than honesty.

My own approach would be to admit my lack of experience, but to go on to explain why I was sure I could adjust. This approach doesn't always work, but it makes me more comfortable.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Here's to you, whoever you may be,
You who held me up while I was sinking in the sea,
If you were in Kiltartan, and me in Katmandu,
I still would not forget you, and I'd do the same for you."
- OysterBand

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com