Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:40:05 -0800

This has been my experience at virtually every consulting contract I've done. I do some work for
a local company that is too small to be able to have their own publications people full-time, and
one of their big requirements is that their engineers and programmers be able to make minor changes
to the materials I've created between their calls to me for major ones. I do their manufacturing process
sheets in Word (they're the most frequently changed) and their online help in very simple Robo, for
which I have created a single-sheet set of instructions that walk someone through opening, making
text changes to existing topics and recompiling. Their previous contract writer did their software's
user guide in FrameMaker, and even though they have FM installed on one of their systems, they
have to call me up every time they need to make the most minor of changes because they have
nobody in-house who can use it. They tell me that contractor turned up her nose at the mention of
doing this doc in Word, I told them I can create their next rev in any app they want it in, *and* design
the page layout so that anyone can go in and make a small change without causing it to explode. The
"proper tool" for any job is the one that makes the client happiest and makes them want to call you back
for more.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 08:25 AM 3/31/2003 -0800, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

I consistently deliver documentation that meets or exceeds expectations, on time or ahead of schedule, using a tool that allows the client to maintain the documentation after I've gone.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com