Re: Estimating a Project

Subject: Re: Estimating a Project
From: "Steve Schwarzman" <steve_schwarzman -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:53:49 -0600

I've written before about the _process_ of estimating (you can check the archives). Here are the actual variables I consider in my Excel formula for user guides. All criteria are on a scale of 1-10. Different criteria have different weights.

* Writer - how strong I think the writer(s) on this project will be. This reflects both the writer's usual abilities and any current considerations or distractions.

* System size - how big, and how complex, is the system?

* Product availability and quality - we typically document our customized software when it is still in testing, so we can deliver to our customers even before the release. So how well the system works when we have it is a major factor.

* Specs and other tech docs - how available they are and how helpful they are.

* SMEs - availability and quality.

* Rush factor - rush work is more complex, and though it may sound paradoxical, takes more time. That is, it takes more effort, and so needs to be accounted for in my estimate.

I take these criteria, and with the weightings I've given them in my formula, come up with a raw score for the project. Then I multiply this raw score by our estimated page count (see my previous posts on breaking down the work into user tasks to do this) and by a running average of hours/page from all previous projects, and arrive at an estimate of the actual time for the project. Add a fudge factor of your choice, and you've got an estimate for the customer.

If you keep careful track of the actual hours spent on each project (so you can continually refine your hours/page and, if need be, tweak the formula based on your experience), you can use this formula to arrive at very accurate estimates for new projects. With an accurate estimate (defined by Hackos as +/- 15%), and a fudge factor of 20% to cover what even the formula can't predict, you'll consistently come in under budget and make your customer happy.

Steve Schwarzman

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com