RE: Technical Document Evaluation

Subject: RE: Technical Document Evaluation
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:26:11 -0500

>John brings up valid points.
>I made the suggestions working on the assumption that a
>
>In theory, the writers are better at communicating
>information. However, the SMEs don't need the information
>communicated to them; they already know it. Giving the SME
>a credit, as a technical reviewer, in the book may be all
>the reward some SMEs require.

Anna...Thanks for responding even-tempered to a response that was somewhat
less-so...I was upset that I had to cancel an MCSE night-class to make up
for someone else's missed commitment.

The point you make about

>>communicated to them; they already know it. Giving the SME a credit, as a
technical reviewer, in the book may be all<<

is very valid and my favorite. As others on this list have heard already,
I'm in the middle of defining visually, all of the processes that together,
make a rather large in-house system work. I'm doing this in big, intricate,
visually impressive diagrams that I'm pinning up outside the developer's
cubes. Most are multi-11X17 panels, some longer than people are tall.
However, what it does is show their peers is what their applications do and
how complex they are, which you cannot determine just by looking at a file.
Their favorites are the ones that are VERY intricate.

It also helps that their names are on them and the CTO in the home office in
NYC (we're in a branch in the sticks of NJ) is pinning them on his office
wall as I finalize them...almost like wall art.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
Although she lives with seven other men, she's not easy.
------ Magic Mirror

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com