Thanks: re: How indepdendent is independent contractor

Subject: Thanks: re: How indepdendent is independent contractor
From: sclarke -at- nucleus -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 14:12:01 -0700

Hello Everyone:

My thanks to all who took the time to respond to my question about "How
independent is an independent contractor." Just wanted to try to summarize
the responses.

Some people chose to answer based on IRS/CCRA definitions of
"indepdendent" contracting. Others responded from the perspective of the
client-contractor relationship and I found this particularly helpful. One
person suggested that it was important to excercise one's 'rights' as a
contractor in a diplomatic manner and several people commented that
sometimes it "takes a while" to build a good working relationship and
establish mutual trust-especially at the beginning.

Someone else mentioned that the client, indeed, has the right to set the
hours and place of work such as working on site between the hours of X &
Y.

All in all the responses were as diverse as the members of this list. At
the same time it truly helpful to hear each person's unique "take" on this
situation and I learned a great deal. It's wonderful having such a wealth
of experience and support.

Thanks very much
Sara-Sue in Canada.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/