Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Robert E. Simanski" <rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:36:10 -0400

At 03:27 PM 4/6/2003 -0700, Sean Brierley wrote:

I would note that the format I deliver online, usually
PNG, is seldom the format in which I create. Part of
the reason for this is comfort, and part is that I
don't need to create in the same format I deliver.

Good point. I selected TIFF not because that's the format of the final output, but because it's my preferred format for bitmapped source files. I prefer TIFF because (a) it's platform-independent, at least in uncompressed form; (b) compression, if you use it, is lossless; and (c) it's a standard of the publishing industry. I prefer to have the original in a high-resolution TIFF file. I can always convert and downsample it for the Web.

As for vector graphics, I prefer to create them in Corel Draw and export them to JPEGs for the Web or Windows Metafiles for print use. I've found that most Windows applications handle WMF files fairly well.

As you can gather, I work on a Windows platform. If I were working on a Mac, I would probably prefer EPS or AI for vector graphics.

Robert E. Simanski, Owner, Business Pro Services
Publications * Web sites * Proposals * Computer Support
751 South Sugarland Run Drive, Sterling, VA 20164-1328
Voice: 703-404-8665 Fax/Data: 703-404-8156
rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com * www.businessproservices.com

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com