Re: inter document pdf links on web for mac

Subject: Re: inter document pdf links on web for mac
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:01:34 -0400

I run both Mac and Windows operating systems on various computers in my office. Normally, I don't have any trouble accessing and reading PDFs from either web sites or CDs on either operating system.

On the rare occasions when I get a "can't find file" error message on a linked PDF from a web page, it seems to be a bug in the IE or Netscape plug-in rather than a true failure to locate the file.

So far I've always been able to get around it by doing a "click and hold" (Mac OS) or a "right-click" (Win) on the link. This pops up a menu with several options. One of the options is "Download link to disk". If I select that option, the browser will save whatever is hooked to that link directly to my hard drive, *without* invoking the plug-in.

You might test this on your system and, if it works, add a sentence to the web page suggesting the work-around in cases where a user has difficulty accessing the file.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/