Re: Antwort: Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done

Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:51:27 -0400

>>And my preference for interpersonal issues is to work it out
>>directly with the other person, without involving a third-party. The
>>developers I've worked with that way (so far) have appreciated that, as
>>have management.

And if that method fails to work? If after talking directly to the other person
THEY go to management and management tells you to stop bothering them?

Looks like a lot of people (not just Jenny) are looking for what to disagree
with and get worked up over as apposed to reading posts looking for what they
might agree with. Not encouraging and may explain why so many have rancorous
relationships with their SMEs. Nothing posted to date by Bonnie has suggested
that she wouldn't try talking directly with the person involved first.

But, if management has not been positively encouraging cooperation or has infact
been working against it where do you stand? Right where Bonnie has been saying.
It's the place of management to foster a positive working environment and
encourage cooperation. A good manager should also be able to know when to
encourage two people to sort out their problems together and when to go
bunny-stomp a repeat offender into submission. But one way or another, Bonnie is
absolutely right. Management needs to be there to support BOTH sides and ensure
the satisfactory completion of the project.

Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com