Re: On screen color choices

Subject: Re: On screen color choices
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:57:15 -0400

If I'm understanding your question properly, you want to ensure that your
readers who are colorblind or color deficient are able to distinguish the
colors you use.

I have a few links you might want to check, result of needing to verify
colors we chose for a slide project had sufficient contrast for colorblind
users. I have no affiliation with any of these organizations or companies.

"Colour Transformations - Decimal"
http://more.btexact.com/people/rigdence/colours/colours1.htm

"Safe web colours for color-deficient vision"
http://more.btexact.com/people/rigdence/colours/PalFiles.htm

"Color blindness simulator"
http://www.q42.nl/demos/colorblindnesssimulator/colors.html

Vischeck (Preview web pages or graphics as they appear to color-deficient
users. Can be used to view as for Deuteranopes, Tritanopes, or Protanopes.)

Hope this helps.

PS - my husband has issues with green/brown, my brother-in-law can't
identify red properly, and my sister-in-law (unusual for females, but there
you have it) can't identify purple. Good luck.

--On Tuesday, April 08, 2003 2:10 PM -0700 Lorraine Kiewiet <Lorraine -dot- Kiewiet -at- mullinconsulting -dot- com> wrote:

We are assigning colors to column headings on Excel spreadsheets. All
column heading cells have a gray background.
Currently, Automatic is the default color for the font telling the name
of the column. If the field is required in all cases, we are using a Red
font. If the field is required in some cases, we are using a Purple
font.

Does anyone have a URL or other info on standards for online colors? Are
we making the right choices for our audience?

The users have good vision because they look at numbers all day long. I
just don't want to be a challenge to color-blind users. I have consulted
my MS and Hackos books and understand the green/red and light
green/white problems. Are there others?

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/