Editors (was Slightly off topic...)

Subject: Editors (was Slightly off topic...)
From: "Beth Brooks" <beth -dot- brooks -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:17:51 -0500

When I was in training to become a technical editor (on the job with a
mentor), I was taught that all editorial comments MUST be justifiable.
This meant I had to have either (1) a reference to a style guide or
grammar guide or dictionary or set of conventions or policy or existing
materials in the same manual/series/help system to back up my
corrections or (2) a darn good, logical, reason for suggesting a change
which I could articulate to the writer. The former were generally
non-negotiable, the latter always for discussion. When confused by
writing, I ask for clarification rather than "assume and correct".

Over time, I've learned to temper rigid adherence to the rules with
realism; one must occasionally pick ones battles rather than insist on
perfection in the face of a looming deadline.

Guess I had best check my assumptions at the door before thinking that
all editors are taught this way.

Paraphrase, Inc.
Writing and Editing Services
Words That WORK For You!