RE: Importance of professional relationships

Subject: RE: Importance of professional relationships
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:07:08 -0400

Mike O. [mailto:obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com]

> Actually I understand the truth behind the "you are the one constant
> factor..." statement. In fact, the first time I heard it, it gave me
> the intended jolt. If it helps motivate some people, I'm for it. But
> it's an emotional truth, not a literal truth. If you believe in
> critical thinking you will look deeper.
>
> Accepting responsibility for everything is a slippery slope. It is
> commendable to recognize where you are responsible. But once
> you get in
> the habit of accepting responsibility for everything, you risk losing
> the ability to think critically and form good judgments about the
> people and things around you.

Didn't Dr. Phil do a show on that (hey, when you don't have cable,
there's not much on at 5:00pm when you're doing an hour on the
treadmill before supper...) ?

The featured women were nagging and manipulating their families
to distraction, because their way of coping with the uncertainties
of the universe was to try to control every last detail. "LOOK at
this sock drawer! Every pair is oriented left! Now, I'm going to
have to unfold all of them and re-fold, so the toes point to the
right, the way it's SUPPOSED to be done!"

DrpHill's advice was to give themselves permission, and recognize
in themselves the strength, to cope with imperfection and surprises
from the world. They were also to allow the world permission to
run however it runs... because it's going to do that anyway.
Pick your battles, do your best, and don't beat yourself up about it
if it isn't perfect every time.... because it won't be. Even
excellence doesn't achieve perfection.

I think that can be applied to researching, writing and editing;
things most of us do on occasion.

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com