RE: Documentation Sanity Check

Subject: RE: Documentation Sanity Check
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:14:16 -0700

John writes:
>The nice thing about Frame <> Excel is that I can copy a Frame table and
>drop it into Excel, and take an Excel matrix and drop it into Frame, then
>just apply the table type. it turned out alot easier than I thought it
>would.

>I need everything in one table. I looked at separate tables, even based on
>referring to names rages, it just didn't work for me.

It'll depend on the application and your work context. Both methods are
perfectly valid.

The most esoteric use I've made of a spreadsheet consists of taking a list
of signal names and pin locations for an IC and generating the pin-out
diagram in Excel, as one big fancy table. I've done this for PGA and BGA
pinouts, though it would probably be just as easy(?) for DIP and QFP
packages if you put a pretty picture of the package in a cell in the middle
and managed to align rows and columns of pin names around its perimeter.

This is obviously beyond the range of what you can do with Autofilter.

More typically, I just have three or four quite mundane variations of the
master table, and I like laying them out in separate sheets of the same
spreadsheet as a sort of prototyping bench and self-documenting "where this
table came from" sheet. In any event, I don't trust myself to recreate the
table consistently from one day to the next, so setting down the layout in
black and white reduces the amount of random variation.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing