Re: Principles for procedure writing - grade levels

Subject: Re: Principles for procedure writing - grade levels
From: "Robert E. Simanski" <rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 21:05:53 -0400

At 08:53 AM 4/10/2003 -0400, Eileen Neumann wrote:

Structurally they are written at the eighth grade level - that's what I have
been told. Maybe not true. Could try typing some Shakespeare into Word to
find out. The point is that Shakespeare is complex because of his content,
not because he uses long convoluted sentences...

I think that we are losing sight of the original meaning of graded reading levels. When we assign a sixth-grade reading level to a document, we are not saying that it is written for sixth-graders. Instead, we are saying that it requires at least a sixth-grade education for the typical reader to be able to understand the document, and in particular the vocabulary used.

This does not mean that it is easy for them to read. In fact, it is likely to be very taxing to a person with a sixth-grade education. We should always aim for a reading level that is well below the average level of education of our intended readers. For high school graduates, it might be an eighth-grade reading level. For college graduates, it might be a level or two higher.

Robert E. Simanski, Owner, Business Pro Services
Publications * Web sites * Proposals * Computer Support
751 South Sugarland Run Drive, Sterling, VA 20164-1328
Voice: 703-404-8665 Fax/Data: 703-404-8156
rsimanski -at- yourpubpro -dot- com * www.businessproservices.com

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com