RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:03:38 -0400

Dawn Whitlock wrote:
> "Most professional technical communicators largely ignore the
> subject of ethics,
> despite regular articles in the STC's Intercom magazine,
> believing ethics to be
> largely irrelevant to their professional development."

Are "Most professional technical communicators" members of the STC?

Is it now the role of the STC to determine ethics for "professional"
technical communicators? If so, I must have missed the memo.

Calling technical communicators "professional" is misleading in this
context. There is no professional regulatory body enforcing standards of
conduct or competence. The STC is not the tech comm equivalent of the
Association of Profession Engineers or the College of Physicians and
Surgeons.

This does not mean that tech comms should not act professionally. Rather,
it means that there is no regulatory body to define the rules or yank our
ability to work in the field.

Thus, the answer to the question (that is, whether I agree or disagree with
the statement) is "mu": Your question cannot be answered because it depends
on incorrect assumptions.

Cheers ... Kim

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com