Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame

Subject: Re: YOU are responsible, even when YOU are not to blame
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:47:13 -0700

There is if the actual due dates are scheduled that way. However, in my
experience, the "disconnect" is more often caused by the review and
production steps that docs are required to undergo (mandatory reviews
by Safety and Legal, after which they cannot be changed without
being reviewed again, time required to have manuals printed so they'll
be ready to pack with CDs), which impose an earlier finish date on the
writer than on the SW developers in order to meet the *same* due date.
This, as I have previously said, is why we have readme files. It isn't
something that anyone blames anyone else for, it's just a fact of life in
the conditions we work under that we have to find ways to deal with (why
the SW and readme files aren't required to undergo the same reviews is
another matter, but my experience in 3 different companies is that they
never seem to be).

Gene Kim-Eng

At 09:01 AM 4/11/2003 -0600, Paul Strasser wrote:

I don't agree, and here's why. If you (that's a basic, general, all-purpose
plural "you" rather than a finger-pointing "you" - I curse the shortcomings
of the mother tongue) are truly responsible for the documentation, then what
for heaven's sake is going on at the project meetings? The deliverable
schedule is there, and you see Final User Guide Due May 1. But on the next
line is Update Parameters User Interface Due May 10. That's a disconnect in
the whole structure.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com