RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:59:44 -0400

Tom Murrell [mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com]

> So, I read that including hiring practices regarding smokers
> cheapens a thread about
> ethics. I'll try a different tack then.
>
> Is it ethical to spend company time and resources to read an
> email list?

Depends on the list. This one? Surely! :-)

> Is it ethical to spend company time and resources to post to
> an email list?

OW! Get your big clod-hoppers off my foot!

This week is slightly slack, so I'm doing drudgery stuff... in
fits and starts. List keeps me awake. Must be a good thing.

> Is it ethical to use company resources to file and pay your
> taxes online from work?

Hmmm. If you were in sales, it might be best for all concerned
that you did just that (all those expenses and records and
all that).

Hmmm, again. If your entire income comes from your salary,
then maybe it's reassuring to the employer that you get the
paperwork done and submitted and won't be worrying about
audits and overdue filing and other stuff that would distract
you from work (boy am I stretching...).

If your outside interests (moonlighting, investments, etc.)
complicate your filing, then probably you should not be taking
up company time for that.

> Is it ethical to use your work computer to do your shopping online?

Not if you've agreed not to do so.

If, though, you work in an environment with lots of perks and
make-life-easy extras, maybe the company prefers that to your
needing to interrupt a good flow just to go do chores. Some
people do work long hours by choice. And some others would
berate the company that encouraged them (by offering conveniences)
to do so, in lieu of having a life, but hey...

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com