RE: Certification (was: Re: Hostility Towards Whatever)

Subject: RE: Certification (was: Re: Hostility Towards Whatever)
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:35:22 -0400

.
> >You could say that about anything, including the designation MD.

> Yes, of course. My point exactly. When one does a really good
> PR job, large
> segments of the population will mantle one's profession with
> an aura of
> priestly respectability. When this happens, people will
> refuse to apply the
> same conclusions that they might draw about licensed egg-handlers and
> dog-barbers to, say, doctors. The revered professions can
> then call their
> own shots without much murmuring from the public.

You overlook the most important factor in the case of (for example)
the MD's organizations (whatever it's called in your country):

- if you have government clout behind you, your word (as an industry
body) literally becomes law -- this, in turn, confers great and
lucrative power

- the politically astute can keep themselves (or their connected friends)
certified, despite demonstrated incompetence, and can cause competent
but inconvenient persons (like whistle-blowers?) to be drummed out and
lose their livelihoods.

The Canadian press regularly run stories on doctors who have crippled
dozens or hundreds of people, using practices that no self-respecting
doctor condones, yet the perps remain certified. W5 has a couple of such
theme shows per year, as do other investigative programs. Occasionally,
that kind of publicity succeeds, where professional ethics in the
association failed utterly. Other times, not even well-and-publicly
documented transgressions are sufficient to oust a well-entrenched
medical miscreant.

For the most part, our cyclical job-search activities, as TWs, don't
include a big political/butt-smooching component. I'm hoping that
that aspect doesn't change for another twenty years or so.

I didn't join a guild. I don't want to be dragged into one.
Not sure how an organization's constitution would need to be written
in order to preclude the possibility.

/kevin

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com