RE: "found" TW humor (low)

Subject: RE: "found" TW humor (low)
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:30:51 -0400

I can. Bonnie Granat said:

> Ahem. I am not talking about sex, but rather the
> meaning of the term "bang".

Ahhh, but some of us are seeing the two words as synonymous in this context.
If Bonnie is understanding something different about the term
"bang"--something negative, at that--then we have an issue of connotation.

In other words, what is being *said* and what is being *understood* are two
different beasts. We're all speaking English, but in this context, we're
not speaking the same language. It's not deliberate, but it does point out
what the dictionary lacks.

We're supposed to know our audiences well enough to write comprehensibly,
but here we are, having difficulty talking amongst ourselves.

Yeouch.

Cheers ... Kim

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com