RE: certification

Subject: RE: certification
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:42:07 -0400

I recognize that there will be people who see it as a means of conferring
knighthood on themselves and this must be avoided. However, and speaking for
myself...if this was something that I recognized I was 98% of the ways there
already, it couldn't be worth my time. I EXPECT to fall way short.

So, and understand that I'm figuring this out as I go along...a credentials
committee is selected. Let's make it 12 people. Pick one each from a
selection of 8 industries (this can be picked from SIC classifications), one
from academia, one from gov, one from the vendor community, and one from the
organization that will administer this (I like the idea of IEEE or ACM).
Each of them submits a list of 20 advanced skills...not font skills, though
design skills might be one of them

OK...we have 20 sets of 20 skills..400 of them. Cancel out the ones that
only appear on 2 (of the 12) lists, and automatically include the skill that
appears on on 8 (of the 12) lists.

The ones in between? Discussion. This becomes the basis from which to start.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

> Kevin...it never dawned on me that the cert/accred process
> would be anything
> but legit and it never dawned on me that the requirements
> would be based on
> any one particular small group's of existing credentials or
> that it would be
> a marketing ploy.
>
> Maybe I'm just naive

Well... ahem.... (looks around, whistling...)
Maybe.
I don't suggest that you, personally, would do that, at least
not intentionally. I do suggest that you'd *HAVE* to have
help, if for no other reason than to confer legitimacy on
the project. As soon as it looks like it has a snowball's
chance, it attracts the people who WOULD benefit from
moulding it into the sanctification of their own resumés.
Like winning the lottery, you'd suddenly discover yourself
with "relatives" you never knew you had.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com