RE: Certification is absurd

Subject: RE: Certification is absurd
From: "Dan Glovier" <dglovier -at- edline -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:50:36 -0500

John sed:

> > We stay relevant by the experience we get at our job. Call me
>
> If you base what you know only by what you learn at your job, you know
> that
> well...and that's only if you happen to learn it well and they do it
the
> right way. If all you did all day is document X, you might do X
well...the
> problem is that nobody else needs X
>
> There are many writers who cannot get jobs because the telecom field
> sucks,
> but they were the best writer at AT&T that anyone ever saw..but they
> cannot
> transition to another field.
>
> Anyone see the movie Other People's Money? If all you know is how to
make
> buggy whips, you might make the best darn buggy whip anyone has
> seen...until
> there are no more buggies.

I call no fairsies! :)

John, you forgot to leave in this important bit from my message:

"I think that continual education is great. Heck, I've been doing it my
whole career. That's how I have progressed in my profession and in life.
But I don't need a piece of paper to state that as they may very well
undervalue me."

This is how I've stayed relevant as I've learned about training, QA,
.Net, server monitoring software, how to run a support department,
accounting, etc...

Sir, I am no buggy whip maker. ;)

And I'm still not sure how certification will take into account the
bazillion (I know, I've counted) fields tech writing is applicable.
Surely you don't suggest that this certification will teach/test writers
on everything from medicinal applications to front loaders to web-based
technologies?

-Dan Glovier

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com